XB2 Dirt Edition 2WD Off-Road Buggy Kit by XRAY
2wd Off Road Dirt Optimized Platform
XRAY's XB2 Dirt Edition 1/10 2wd Buggy Kit promises XRAY quality, with premium components, for the most demanding racers. Backed by XRAY's legendary premium service & support, the XB2 was developed with attention to the smallest details. There are two different XB2 kits to choose from – Carpet Edition and Dirt Edition, both built on the same platform with full compatibility and with interchangeable parts. The Dirt Edition is designed for very-low to medium grip conditions, while the Carpet Edition is designed for medium to very-high traction conditions.
The XB2 platform can be tuned for any track condition. Super-low-traction dusty tracks, medium-traction, or super-high-traction carpet or astro turf; there is an XB2 for you that will handle flawlessly in any of these conditions. The Uni-Platform™ allows the XB2 edition to be tuned or converted to suit any track conditions with only a few additional parts.
Dirt Edition (XRA320001):
- Ball Differential
- Mid & Rear Motor Gear Box
- Mid & Rear Motor Plate
- Front & Rear Shock Towers
- Rear Roll Center Holder
- Motor Upper Brace
- Battery Strap
- Medium Composite Suspension Parts
Carpet Edition (XRA320000):
- Gear Differential
- Mid Motor Gear Box
- Mid Motor Plate
- Front & Rear Shock Towers
- Rear Roll Center Holder
- Motor Upper Brace
- Battery Strap
- Medium & Hard Composite Suspension Parts
- Front Wing
XB2 Dirt Edition Features:
- 2-in-1 Suspension Concept: Regardless if you race on low, medium, or high-traction tracks, the XB2 has got you covered with a complete suspension specifically designed for particular track conditions. For some specific very-high traction conditions, optional graphite suspension parts can be used to further improve the performance and handling of the car.
- Multi-Flex: The invention of XRAY Multi-Flex Technology™ has resulted in some of the most significant milestones in RC model car development in the last decade. This innovation has not only resulted in awards and accolades, but has proven to be a distinct competitive advantage at tracks worldwide to help XRAY cars dominate races at local and national levels. The XB2 incorporates Multi-Flex™ adjustment technology, which allows tuning the chassis flex for different track conditions. Regardless if the track has low, medium, or super-high traction, you can adjust the chassis flex to suit track conditions to gain a distinctive advantage.
- Chassis Weight Balance: The layout of the XB2 was designed with attention to optimal weight distribution & balance. During the design and prototyping phases, several different layouts were tested and an extensive amount of data was collected, compared, and evaluated by the factory team before the final design was chosen. The XB2 weight balance was specifically optimized for Carpet Edition and Dirt Edition, individually.
- Dirt Edition – Gear Box and Motor Plate specifically designed to mount the motor in either Middle position or Rear position, with top shaft positioned higher. The gear box can be built with either a 3- or 4-gear configuration, allowing adjustment of the motor orientation from left to right side in either mid or rear positions.
- Electronics Layout: The electronic layout allows for moving the batteries frontwards/rearwards, as well as using standard or mid-size servos and either using saddle pack or short pack batteries.
- Chassis: CNC-machined from high-quality 2mm Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum, the chassis is lightweight without affecting strength or rigidity, and is additionally black coated at XRAY’s own in-house fully robotic coating line. Weight distribution, chassis width & length, and proper flex have all been incorporated into the design of the chassis.
- Side Guards: Side guards are an integral part of the XB2 Multi-Flex™ system. Molded from a medium hardness composite material, the side guards make the chassis frame flex suitable for the majority of track conditions. The tough composite side guards feature double-sided Velcro™ tape to seal the body perfectly to the chassis and seal against dirt.
- Chassis Brace: The front lower chassis brace is another component of the Multi-Flex™ system that influences flex and the handling of the car. The brace molded from medium-hardness composite is suitable for most track conditions especially for low- and medium-traction tracks. The brace is mounted directly to the chassis to hold the entire front assembly and front suspension, including the front protection bumper.
- Upper Deck: As a part of the Multi-Flex™ system, the front upper deck is used to adjust chassis flex. The medium-hardness upper deck is great for low-and medium-traction conditions.
- Gear Box: The XB2 gear box is designed with all the finest details and craftsmanship incorporated. All parts fit perfectly together, and the super-easy access to the rear differential will be appreciated by every racer. The durable gear box houses the differential with all the rear transmission, and allows the mounting of the rear roll center holder, motor plate, and rear shock tower.
- Dirt Edition - Gear Box Layout raises the top shaft and moves the motor closer to the differential, improving rear grip in lower traction conditions. The motor can be installed on either tleft or right side. For some very specific low traction conditions, the motor cam be even mounted behind the rear suspension.
- Easy Diff Access: Access to the rear differential is super easy on both Carpet Edition and Dirt Edition. By just releasing a few screws on the rear cover of the gear box, the differential can be easily taken out and inserted back inside without the need for further disassembly. Smart engineering.
- Drivetrain: The XB2 is a conventional gear-driven 2WD off-road car featuring:
- Rear ball differential (Dirt Edition) or gear differential (Carpet Edition) with adjustable oil viscosity, featuring 53T gear and internal satellite gears
- 25T graphite composite idler gears
- 20T super-lightweight Swiss 7075 T6 hardcoated aluminum top shaft
- adjustable slipper clutch with 81T main spur gear
- rear CVD drive shafts
- Ball Differential: The XB2 ball differential is standard in the Dirt Edition and is recommended for all XB2 configurations when used on very-low to medium-traction dirt and clay surfaces. The externally-adjustable ball differential is machined from HUDY Spring Steel™ and is additionally hardened for extra durability and long lifespan. A high-quality carbide thrust bearing and carbide balls are included for ultra-smooth operation. The ball differential comes factory pre-assembled.
- Slipper Clutch: Power from the motor is transferred to the drivetrain via an externally-adjustable central slipper clutch for quick & easy tuning. The 3-pad slipper clutch ensures super-smooth clutch operation and efficient and consistent braking. It is very easy to make ultra-fine adjustments to the clutch externally. The slipper clutch pads are made from ultra-efficient SLS material with very high slip efficiency, thus allowing very precise slip adjustment. The lightweight slipper plates are machined from premium Swiss 7075 T6 and additionally hardened before a final black surface treatment. The plates have a machined relief which decreases the friction surface to assist with clutch slip adjustment. With this plate design, pressure is focused on the circumference of the clutch pads for increased efficiency.
- Spur Gear: Precision-molded spur gears are made from XRAY's exclusive secret blend of composite material, allowing the gear to run true yet be robust enough to handle high-performance brushless motors. The spur gears are designed to have the lowest possible weight while staying strong and light. Each gear is stamped with the tooth number for easy identification. The XB2 is equipped with an 81T spur gear which suits the majority of tracks. For additional tuning, optional 75T, 78T, and 84T spur gears are available
- Drive Shafts: XB2 constant velocity drives (CVDs) are manufactured from world-renowned HUDY Spring Steel™. The drive shafts are some of the world‘s thinnest yet most durable drive shafts used in electric off-road cars. Hardened with a proprietary hardening process, the drive shafts provide unbeatable lifespan and reliability.
- Motor Plate: The black-coated Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum motor plate holds the slipper clutch assembly as well as the gear box, and features an adjustable motor plate position. To reinforce the assembly, the motor plate is connected via a motor plate brace to the upper brace mount. Dirt Edition Motor Plate designed for the particular track conditions.
- Battery Strap: Changing batteries is quick & easy with the included battery strap with aluminum nuts. The battery pack can be installed either frontwards or rearwards, and the included foam spacer helps to ensure the battery pack will not fall out. The chassis layout allows the use of either short packs or saddle-pack batteries.
- Suspension: Correct suspension geometry is one of the most important features of any RC model car, while at the same time being one of the most difficult & challenging features for a designer. From the suspension arms, through the suspension blocks, to the light yet robust steering blocks, every suspension part has been carefully designed for the 2WD 1/10 off-road racing platform to provide responsive racing characteristics in all conditions.
- I.S.S.™ Suspension Holders: The aluminum suspension holders feature Integrated Suspension Settings (I.S.S.™) which allows for quick & easy suspension geometry set-up. Using eccentric suspension bushings – which are inserted into Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum suspension blocks – as well as additional shims and turnbuckles, the XB2 suspension geometry can be completely adjusted.
- Suspension Arms: XB2 suspension arms are the result of long-term testing of different designs and layouts. Length, thickness, flexibility, geometry, and materials used… these are all part of the concepts and details that are thoroughly reviewed to create optimum suspension arms. The suspension arm itself is rigid enough to provide a responsive feel, yet soft enough for extreme durability. The exclusive composite mixtures used for suspension arms are a perfect balance between reliability and performance.
- Caster Blocks: The caster blocks are very lightweight, yet their construction makes them very stiff & rigid. The caster can be adjusted with values 0°, 2.5° or 5° by using included caster bushings.
- Steering Blocks: The tiny yet tough steering blocks are comprised of composite steering blocks and graphite Ackermann extensions for variable Ackermann positions. The composite blocks are molded from a special composite mixture for maximum strength.
- Uprights: The very compact rear uprights feature 6 different upper roll center positions. The rear uprights feature 0° toe to ensure stability and to prevent suspension geometry changes in hard crashes.
- Wheelbase & Weight Balance Adjustment: Outer suspension pins holding the front caster block and rear uprights feature wheelbase shims for quick & easy wheelbase and weight balance adjustment. Using included shims in rear and in front, both front and rear blocks can be moved forward or rearward to adjust weight balance depending on track condition. By moving the arms to the front, the balance & weight of the car are transferred more to the rear; this is recommended for medium- and high-traction conditions. By moving the arms to the rear, the balance & weight of the car are transferred more to the front.
- Hex Hubs: Ultra-lightweight 12mm wheel hex drive hubs are CNC-machined from Swiss 7075 T6 black-coated aluminum. These ultra-true hex hubs have a clamping design which ensures ultra- solid mounting of the wheel on the hub. The rear aluminum hex hubs are specially machined to reduce rotating weight while guaranteeing wobble-free wheel mounting. To adjust track-width, optional offset wheel hex drive hubs are available.
- Steering System: The dual-arm steering system is very simple yet effective. The steering system is fully bearing-equipped with 8 high-speed ball-bearings for very precise steering. The Ackermann is easily adjusted by quickly & easily changing the steering link mounting positions on the steering plate. Bump steer is easily adjusted for more aggression by inserting a shim between the steering block and steering linkage. Ackermann is also easily adjusted by inserting a shim on the steering plate as well changing various graphite extension plates on the steering blocks.
- Turnbuckles: For maximum reliability, all turnbuckles are manufactured from special HUDY Spring Steel™ material for turnbuckles which features a tougher core. These turnbuckles are used for front & rear upright linkages and steering system.
- Arm Mount: The lower composite arm mount is an important part of the chassis where the lower arms mount, and the block has an integrated 26° kick-up angle. Optional aluminum and brass arm mounts are available for further weight balance adjustment.
- Shock Towers: Front and rear shock towers include multiple shock positions, and the rear shock tower also holds the wing mount. Dirt Edition features composite shock towers in order to generate more traction.
- Shocks: Well-built, reliable shocks are extremely important for super-smooth suspension action on every type of track. The shocks on the XB2 have been specifically designed to be built easily, perform consistently, and last reliably. Attention was paid to all the smallest details during the design process, as well as during the long-term testing in various conditions. The shocks are membrane-free, yet they still allow for easy, consistent building and rebound setting using the bleed-screw shock cap design. Down stop is adjusted using composite shims under the pistons. Up stop travel is adjusted using composite shims under the shock collar. The aluminum body, lower nut, and bleeder shock caps are all machined from premium Swiss 7075 T6. Shock pistons are made from Delrin® and are molded using super-precise molds. Several types of pistons are included with different numbers of holes & diameters for precise shock adjustments. For custom adjustment, a set of blank non-drilled pistons are also included. Shock rods are machined from special steel material, precision hand-ground for maximum smooth operation, and additionally hardened for improved lifespan.
- Shock Springs: The XB2 springs have been specifically designed to complement the shocks. The XB2 springs, like all other XRAY springs, are manually measured, selected, and matched into pairs to guarantee precisely equal length and damping characteristics. Each of the springs is laser-engraved with stripes to clearly indicate the firmness of the spring.
- Variable Shock Mounting: The design of the rear suspension arm allows very practical variable position of the rear shocks.
- Body: The high-performance, low-profile aerodynamic body was designed by XRAY to perfectly fit the XB2 and to work effectively in most track conditions. The front and rear of the body (together with the central rib) have been designed for additional downforce to stabilize the car. The body sides as well as cockpit sides are as flat as possible to direct airflow around the body for improved side stability. On the top of roof, two flow channels are incorporated for proper airflow. The body is made from high-quality premium Lexan™ material. For very-high-traction track conditions, an optional ultra-lightweight body is available to reduce the roll of the car and improve rotation in corners.
- Wings: The stylish and effective rear wing was designed to work perfectly with the XRAY XB2 body. Made from strong Lexan™ material, the wing is supported on the mounts by extra flat shims to better support and extend the life of the wing. An optional thicker 1.5mm (#323511) rear wing is highly reliable with less chance of breakage, while at the same time influencing the performance of the car as well. The thicker wing gives higher traction and stability, but gives reduced steering.
- Wheels: The included XB2 wheels are perfect for high-competition racing. The wheels are made from a very flexible material, while still being ultra-durable to withstand impacts. The side of the wheel is aerodynamic for maximum performance. The wheels were designed to provide maximum traction. Internal reinforcement ribs make the wheels as stable as possible and eliminate deformation. The wheels feature a 12mm internal hex.
- Anti-roll Bars: In specific track conditions when the rear of the car must be stabilized, an optional rear anti-roll bar (#362400) can be easily installed. The anti-roll bar is mounted to the rear roll center holder and can be adjusted via the included linkages. Anti-roll bar wires of different thicknesses are optionally available for fine-tuning; the wire thickness is laser-engraved for easy identification.
- Chassis Balance: Chassis design focuses on balanced weight distribution and weight transfer. The chassis features pre-drilled holes for additional weights for optimum car balancing. Centerline holes are pre-drilled for easy balancing with the HUDY Balancing Tool HUD107880.
Class: 1/10 electric 2WD off-road car
Width: Adjustable 245-250mm
Length: 274mm (394 with wing)
Wheelbase: Adjustable 282-285mm
Ready-to-run weight: 1520g
Needed To Complete:
- 2-Channel radio system
- Electronic Speed Control
- 540 Motor
- Steering servo
- LiPo battery pack and charger
- Polycarbonate paint for body
- 1/10 scale 2WD buggy tires & inserts
- Tools for assembly
- Pinion Gear
This product was added to our catalog on March 7, 2016.