Vortex DSB-R Plus Program Box by Team Orion
This product was added to our catalog on May 6, 2014.
This is the Team Orion Vortex DSB-R Plus Program Box. The DSB-R program box is the ultimate tool to setup and update Team Orion ESCs. When using the program box, adjusting your ESC becomes child’s play and when connected to our high end ESCs, it unlocks settings which are otherwise unavailable to the user. The DSB-R Plus unlocks the full potential of your Team Orion ESC. It is now equipped with a LiPo/LiFe charge status indicator, where the battery and total cell voltage is conveniently displayed on the backlit LCD display. A must have tool for the serious racer.
- Easily setup your ESC
- Unlock extra settings inside the ESC software
- Update the firmware of your R-series speed controller
- Check the charge status of your LiPo/LiFe batteries
This unit is not an improvement worth the extra increase in cost over the older orion DSB-R ( ori63150 ) other than the added feature of looking at checking cell voltages. All other programming features are the same.
I normally to expect a device to work as described - but this programmer did not. I will try and find a used programming box instead. Not happy with customer service either - this is a new unit that was introduced out on May 9th. I have purchased other motors and esc's from here with no issues when I had problems with my orders.)
2. Orion is very misleading about a few features. more on that later
3. The USB Link software only works on PC's with windows. If you are running security software on your comp like Norton's you may have trouble downloading the Orion software. Be prepared for a hassle.
4. If you are able to download the USB link Orion software it is pretty easy to use. Once I got the software onto a Windows PC (which everyone I know has a Mac so this was a PIA) I easily updated the Program box firmware and updated one of my R10.1s to the newest Stock firmware.
5. Here's a huge tip. When running stock Blinky racing you want to set the Running mode to 4 so your car blinks. You may also notice with the DSB R you can still edit the advanced timing features even though the ESC is blinking. This is misleading. The timing features ARE disabled (I contacted Orion and Horizon) making this perfectly ROAR legal. However, many people don't know this and think they have a blinky ESC that gives boost and turbo.
7. Checking battery cell voltage. On Orion's website and other retailers they clearly state the DSB R Plus will give readings for individual cell volts. While the manual doesn't mention this Orion advertises it on their site. The box won't. It only gives the entire battery volts - not individual cell volts. False advertising is pretty bad.
6. Orion customer service and communication is really poor. There's possibly a communication gap as they are based in Sweden, but I've had a few questions over the time I've owned several Orion products and the communication is very slow and typically lazy and insufficient.
7. if you can get past all that crap the box does make changing setting easy. I'd gladly pay $30, but $90 with false advertising, bad customer support and confusing manuals...
Glad to see Amain edit the item description so fast regarding the cell voltage feature that Orion states.)