RX8 2016 Spec 1/8 On Road Competition Racing Car Kit by XRAY
The XRAY RX8 2016 was a long time in the making. Crucial strategic decisions were made and acted on to accommodate rule changes in the 1/8 on-road class. A combination of planning, research, testing, and ingenuity were combined to bring the RX8 to an entirely new level of performance. Development at XRAY never stops, nor does our pursuit of perfection. Evolving the RX8 to its present state has been a challenge, and the re-designed RX8 incorporates all the best features and ideas gathered over the past years.
The RX8 is a typical XRAY car - a premium, professional, high competition model racing car for the most demanding racers, developed and designed with attention to the smallest details. Manufactured from premium European materials, machined using state of the art Swiss and German machines and backed by premium service & support, the RX8 is a typical XRAY, a luxury masterpiece. Smooth flowing lines, distinctive design touches, all sculpted in lightweight platform - an expression of power, dramatic styling, superior technology, pure luxury and performance.
NOTE: Engine, pipe, servos, wheels and tires shown in photos are for illustrative purposes only and are not included. See needed to complete list below for a full list of items required to complete the model.
- Aluminum Backbone: The most significant change to the RX8'16 is the aluminum backbone. The main frame and backbone of the car feature precision aluminum bulkheads and aluminum suspension holders that are mounted to the aluminum chassis. All bulkhead parts have been designed to provide the lightest and strongest possible support framework, with maximum flex characteristics for increased traction.
- Chassis: The RX8 chassis has been re-designed to accommodate the redesigned bulkheads and suspension holders. The chassis is very narrow to increase chassis flex and generate more traction and steering. The narrow chassis also prevents chassis contact in corners and helps to eliminate the feel of the car ‘stopping‘ mid corner. The lightweight chassis is CNC-machined from 5mm premium Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum and has been strategically machined in low-stress areas to make it as light as possible without affecting strength or rigidity.
- Aluminum Front/Rear Bulkheads: One of the most significant changes is the aluminum bulkheads. With rules requiring larger, harder tires, the traditional composite bulkheads were changed for aluminum. The aluminum bulkheads deliver improved stiffness & flex characteristics for better steering characteristics, even with hard spec tires. The super-lightweight aluminum bulkheads have a clean, lightweight design to give the lowest weight and CG.
- Aluminum 2-Speed Bulkheads: Aluminum rear 2-speed shaft bulkheads are separated from the rear bulkheads to give proper flex, for maximum traction. All ball-bearings are installed in composite bushings to eliminate transfer of vibrations from the engine. The bulkheads are CNC-machined to ensure the lightest & strongest support framework.
- Rear Upper Clamps: The rear upper clamps were re-designed to fit the aluminum bulkheads.
- Front Upper Clamps: The front upper clamps were re-designed to fit the aluminum bulkheads. The front upper clamps hold the front shock tower and the front upper arm mount and make the access to the front one-way super easy.
- Front Upper Arm Holders: The front upper arm holders were designed to work with the aluminum bulkheads. Each upper front arm holder is mounted to the front upper clamp via a single screw and to the radio plate with two screws. This way, the front suspension has optimized flex for improved in-corner steering and better steering response. One of the 2 mounting screws of the radio plate may be removed for even more flex – as part of the Multi-Flex™ system. The Swiss 7075 T6 aluminum front upper arm holders were designed to allow the upper arms to be moved more rearward for increased caster angle and improved cornering speed.
- Front Middle Shaft Holder: The aluminum front middle shaft holder was re-designed to work with the aluminum bulkheads. The holder works now as a belt tensioner for the front & side belts. CNC machined, the smart design also allows for quick & easy front belt changes.
- Radio Plate: The radio plate was re-designed to work with the aluminum bulkheads, fuel tank, and steering servo mounting system. The radio plate is CNC-machined from 2.5mm graphite material and the design allows for easy removal of the entire radio plate (with all electronics) for quick & easy servicing and cleaning.
- Radio Plate Multi-Flex: The flex of the radio plate can be adjusted independently from the chassis flex, giving more fine tuning options. Using the bushings in the rear, the radio plate can be mounted to the mounts with either fixed position or with flex. The fixed setting is recommended for high-traction conditions, while the flex setting is recommended for low-traction tracks. A very useful feature is the front Multi-Flex™ adjustment via radio plate bushing in the servo saver area. When the bushing is used, the setting has a fixed position; when the bushing is removed, the screw is directly mounted on the servo saver post and the whole front suspension has increased flex. The fixed setting is recommended when there is sufficient in-corner steering, while the flex setting is recommended for increased in-corner steering.
- Aluminum Radio Plate Mounts: The radio plate mounts were re-designed to fit into the aluminum frame. These lightweight mounts give improved flex characteristics and durability.
- Muffler Mounting: The muffler mounting system was re-designed and moved from the front middle shaft holder to the front left bulkhead to allow the front middle shaft holder to adjust the belt tension of the front and side belts.
- Fuel Tank: The narrower fuel tank allows for improved fuel movement for more stable & consistent engine operation mainly at lower fuel levels. The 125cc fuel tank with hypertonic tank lid and internal stone-type filter is positioned in the center of the car and sits as low as possible. The internal baffles inside the fuel tank ensure that the fuel will always be in the area around the fuel line intake so even in long, fast corners the fuel will be constantly supplied to the engine.
- Fuel Tank Mounting: The fuel tank mounting has been re-designed with the fuel tank being mounted atop the radio plate for easier insertion & removal from the car. Cleaning and maintenance around the fuel tank and radio plate is now much easier. The fuel tank is mounted on aluminum fuel tank posts with rubber grommets and secured by micro clips. The receiver battery pack is located beneath the fuel tank to help create the lowest CG possible.
- Engine Mounts: The engine mounts were re-designed to be mounted to the chassis the same distance from the center of the chassis and closer together for equal & improved flex characteristics. The quick-set engine mounts are CNC-machined, and the engine mount has a fixed position for super-easy engine installation and gear mesh adjustment.
- Aluminum Suspension Mounts: The front & rear suspension holders are CNC-machined and are fully independent from the bulkheads, mounted directly to the chassis to increase traction and make the car easier to drive. Suspension mounts were designed and placed on the chassis for better geometry and maximum traction & steering.
- Graphite Rear Upper Arm Holders: The rear upper arm holders are machined from 3.5mm graphite material for optimized flex characteristics of the rear suspension. Both rear and front mounts are mounted on the rear upper clamps. The positions of eccentric bushings were designed to achieve new geometry for maximum traction & steering.
- Pivot Pins: Pivot pins for rear upper & lower and front lower suspension arms have been modified to fit the aluminum suspension mounts and updated geometry. Rear upper pivot pins with a machined groove allows fixing by setscrew, helping to prevent pins from coming out during a run.
- Front arms: The front arms were extended to work with the updated front suspension geometry, and the position of the front wire anti-roll bar was re-designed as well. Suspension arms directly influence the handling characteristics of the car. Length, thickness, flexibility, geometry of suspension points and materials used are all details that had to be thoroughly reviewed to create optimal suspension arms. The exclusive composite mixture used for suspension arms is a perfect balance between reliability and performance. The suspension arm itself is rigid enough to provide a responsive feel, yet soft enough to provide extreme durability.
- Aluminum Steering Blocks Extensions: The steering block extensions were re-designed for updated Ackermann geometry and improved steering characteristics. The extension is mounted to the steering block, and features 3 different Ackermann positions. The kit includes 2mm bump steer shims for improved bump steer characteristics; bump steer can be easily changed by adding or removing shims. The extensions are made from aluminum for increased durability and unmatched lifespan.
- Aluminum Steering Servo Mounts: The steering servo mounts were re-designed to fit into the radio plate. The steering servo mounts are CNC-machined to provide the lightest & strongest support framework for the car.
- Suspension Extensions: Both front & rear suspension extensions feature optimized shock mounting position for the RX8’16 geometry. The front extensions are machined from graphite, while the rear extensions are laser cut for improved durability and additionally black coated.
Needed to Complete:
- Radio system (transmitter and receiver)
- Personal transponder
- Steering & throttle servos
- Manifold & exhaust
- Starter box & starter box battery pack
- Receiver battery pack
- Glowplug igniter
- Battery charger
- 1/8-scale bodyshell & Lexan® paint,
- wheels & tires
- Model R/C car fuel (nitromethane)
- Air filter & oil
- CA glue
- Bearing oil
- Medium-grade (blue) threadlock
This product was added to our catalog on June 24, 2016.