Lagos Sport RTR Boat by Helion RC
This product was added to our catalog on May 19, 2016.
The Helion Lagos Sport is the easiest, most affordable way to have RC boating fun at the lake, pool or pond. Fast means fun and thanks to the powerful fan-cooled 370-size motor you’ll be racing across the water and making tight turns like a pro in no time. The Lagos is very stable to run, but on the rare occasion it does roll over, you don’t need to worry because the electronics (2-in-1) receiver/ESC combo) are factory-sealed to keep water out and it has a unique self-righting feature that lets you “flip” the boat right side up from your transmitter.
The Lagos Sport is a RTR (Ready-To-Run) boat, so it comes 100% factory-assembled and includes a 2-channel, 2.4 GHz radio with proportional controls that allow you to go forward or reverse and make right or left turns. For power, you get a 700mAh 2S 7.4V Li-ion battery and a charger that conveniently plugs into any AC outlet. The Lagos also includes items that similar class boats don’t, like the AA batteries needed to operate the transmitter, a display stand to proudly show it off when you’re not out running it, and a protective nose cover that protects the front of your boat when it runs into pool walls or other obstacles. With nothing extra to buy, you can be speeding your Lagos across your local pond within minutes of opening the box.
NOTE: The model shown may not be an accurate representation of the color you will receive. Colors are selected randomly. The Helion Lagos Sport model HLNB001 is available in two different colors, red or blue. If you would like a specific color, please contact our customer service department prior to placing your order and we will do our best to honor your request.
- Fast Means Fun: Fast means fun and thanks to the powerful fan-cooled 370-size motor you’ll be racing across the water and making tight turns like a pro in no time.
- Self-Righting: The Lagos is very stable to run, but on the rare occasion it does roll over, it has a unique self-righting feature that lets you “flip” the boat right side up from your transmitter.
- Factory Sealed Electronics: The Lagos Sport features a powerful 370-size motor and factory-sealed electronics (2-in-1 receiver/ESC combo) that are protected inside the hull by a water resistant cover.
- Bow Cover: The Lagos Sport includes a removable bow cover that keeps it looking new after the occasional run-in with pool walls and other obstacles.
- Proportional Controls: The Lagos Sport includes a 2-channel 2.4GHz radio with proportional controls that allow you to go forward or reverse and make right or left turns.
- Ready-To-Run (RTR): The Lagos Sport is a RTR (Ready-To-Run) boat, so it arrives 100% factory-assembled and includes a 2-channel 2.4GHz radio with proportional controls, AA batteries for the transmitter, a 700mAh 2S 7.4V Li-ion battery, a charger that conveniently plugs into any AC outlet, protective nose cover and a display stand.
Hull length: 11.5”
Overall length: 14”
Battery: 2-Cell/2S 700mAh, 7.4V Li-ion
Charger: 650mAh 110-240V AC Charger
Motor: 370 brushed
- Lagos Sport Boat
- 2-channel 2.4GHz radio
- 700mAh 2S 7.4V Li-ion battery
- 650mAh 110-240V AC Charger
- Protective nose cover and display stand
First I'll give you the good things about this boat:
- It is pretty fast, too fast really for my 15x9 foot pool.
- It does turn sharper when turning one direction, but the difference is easily manageable and can actually be useful when running the boat in a small area.
- The throttle and trim adjustments are easy and intuitive, even for a beginner.
- The body is well constructed and durable, even holding up to a solid chomp from my 60lb husky-mix dog who HATES the boat (and chases it barking around the edge of the pool) with only some scratches and damage only to the stickers)
- The self righting feature works like a champ, eliminating the risk of a roll over stranding the boat out of reach.
- Replacement parts are cheap, which as you'll see below can be a major plus...
The boat has some major cons:
- The gasket that is designed to keep water out is a joke. Tape needs to be applied all around the top of the boat in order to keep any water out of the boat. If it does roll or torpedo, then you should bring it in and dump the water out of it.
- The motor is air cooled, but the interior of the boat is so small that there is not nearly enough air around to keep the motor cool. Add that to the amount of water that inevitably makes it into the inside of the boat, and you will go through motors pretty quickly.
- The servo is cheaply made and will fail pretty quickly if the boat sees much use. It's also a HUGE pain to replace for anyone with normal sized fingers.
- The Velcro on the battery holder is held on with adhesive, so it won't "stick" with you long due to the water that gets in the boat.
- The extended life battery that is available is to big to fit into the battery holder properly, and it eventually broke on me.
Over the two years I have owned this boat, I have replaced every interior part at least once. I'm on my third motor and after only a few runs the boat has started losing speed, which is a sign that the motor is starting to die again. I'm not going to sink another penny into this boat, so I'm planning to replace it in the next few weeks.
The boat really is a lot of fun, so it makes me sad that it isn't more durable. Still, it was a good intro to the RC boating world so I don't regret buying it. That being said, I'd advise against purchasing the Lagos Sport.)
The sealing around the canopy is optimistic at best, and combined with the fragility of the servo will result in disappointment if you are not a seasoned hobbyist who can replace servos.
If you buy one, stock up on micro servos 22x22x11mm, or find a waterproof one which will cost almost 50% of the price of this boat.)