Castle Creations Monster X 1/8th Scale Brushless Car Package takes Castle’s legendary “monster” performance to the next level in an all inclusive combo. This combo package includes the sensored 1515 2200KV motor and is recommended for 1/8 trucks and buggies, on road vehicles and monster trucks weighing up to 15 pounds running up to 6S LiPo batteries.
Why sensored? It can provide a smoother more linear throttle feel and eliminate power surges when coming out of the corners. The waterproof Monster X ESC can run between 2S and 6S LiPo and is a great “power up” upgrade system for 1/8th scale off-road and on-road vehicles. It is also a perfect option for 1/10th scale monster trucks and custom RC monstrosities weighing up to 15 lbs!
Extreme Power • Extreme Control • Extreme Fun!
The Monster X provides even more extreme performance than the Monster 2. Most notable is the addition of a programmable Auxiliary Wire that allows users to make “on-the-go” adjustments to several settings, such as torque control and max throttle. The Auxiliary Wire allows users to fine-tune the performance of their Monster X ESC right from the transmitter using an auxiliary channel on the receiver. The AUX wire function is disabled by default but is programmable via Castle Link. Once the user has programmed the functionality of the AUX wire, that setting can then be adjusted on-the-go from a compatible transmitter. The Monster X also features updated Audible Alerts that will notify drivers of possible issues with their calibrations and error conditions to help diagnose problems in the field.
The Monster X is capable of running from 2S to a maximum of 6S LiPo power, but now features an improved heavy-duty adjustable Battery Eliminator Circuit (BEC) to provide plenty of power for today’s power hungry servos. The Monster X BEC voltage is adjustable from 5.5V, 6.0V, 7.5V and 8.0V with an 8 AMP peak. The Monster X also comes standard with a highly efficient, 30mm ESC cooling fan.
Monster X Data Logging
The Monster X also has the ability to capture and record performance data from your last couple of runs, commonly referred to as data logging. This data can be downloaded via the upcoming Castle Quick Connect Duo (sold separately) that allows the user access to both wires into the single Castle Link connection. The user can then analyze this data and make adjustments to the ESC to maximize both performance and battery life.
Telemetry Ready (Compatibility Coming Soon for Futaba T4PX Transmitters!)
The Monster X is telemetry ready, which means owners of Futaba T4PX Transmitters will be able to purchase the Castle Creations S.BUS Telemetry Link when it is released. Real-time data such as ESC temperature, voltages and RPM can be monitored to ensure performance advantages and spare you the “unknown” parameters that all R/C enthusiasts experience at some point. Telemetry data provides another level of protection, can increase your “tuning awareness” and in turn, let you have more time having fun.
Castle Link Adjustable Settings for Monster X include:
- Brake/Reverse Type
- LiPo Cutoff Voltage
- Brake Amount
- Drag Brake
- Motor Type
Additional Castle Link Benefits include:
- Access all firmware updates, included added feature sets released from Castle Engineering FREE of charge.
- Intuitive Demo Mode
- Ability to save basic to complex setup profiles for later use.
- Input Voltage Range: MIN: 2S LiPo; MAX: 6S LiPo (25.2V)
- BEC Specifications: Adjustable: 5.5V, 6.0V, 7.5V. or 8.0V (8A Peak), default 5.5V
- Operating Environment: Waterproof* design allows for use in nearly any environment. (*See Product Use Statements)
- Brake: Proportional
- Reversible: Yes - with lockout
- On/Off Switch: Yes
- ESC Cooling Fan: Yes, factory equipped (30mm), fully removable and replaceable. (**See Product Use Statements)
- Size: 5.3cm x 4.9cm
- Weight: 3.93oz / 111.5g (w/o battery connector soldered to ESC)
- Application Guidelines: Up to 6S (25.2 Volt) operation in vehicles weighing less than 15 lbs, with batteries, ready-to-run.
- Items Needed for Operation: Battery Connector required, Castle 6.5mm Connectors are recommended.
- Input Voltage Range: 2-6S LiPo
- Kv: 2200
- Max. RPM: 60,000
- Length: 75.4mm
- Diameter: 40mm (41.1mm w/fins)
- Weight (w/wires): 429 g / 15.1oz
- Shaft Size: 20mm
- Diameter: 5mm
- Mounting Hole Specifications: M3 & M4 @ 25mm
- Cooling Fan: Optional - Coming Soon
- Connectors: 6.5mm male Castle Bullet Connectors
- Application Guidelines: Ideal for 1:8 scale off-road and on-road vehicles as well as 1:10 scale Monster Trucks up to 15lbs.
- Recommended ESC(s): Mamba Monster X
- Max. Recommended Vehicle Weight: Up to 15lbs
- Tech Notes: Running modes: SMARTSENSE™, Sensored, Sensorless
Product Use Statements:
- *Although Mamba Monster X and Castle brushless motors are waterproof, they are not intended for operation while completely submerged in liquid. They can corrode when exposed to corrosive materials, such as salt water. Always rinse the ESC and motor with clean water after exposure to corrosives or dirt. While the motor and controller may be waterproof, Castle suggests users confirm that the rest of their vehicle, including the batteries, servos, radio and chassis are also waterproof before exposing them to liquids of any kind.
- **The cooling fan must be removed prior to driving in wet conditions. It is not waterproof.
- Not all LiPos are created equal, and surge ratings should never be used to determine a pack’s suitability for a brushless application. Use the CONTINUOUS C rating only. Mamba Monster setups frequently hit 100+ amps in peaks. Castle strongly suggest using 5,000 mAh or larger LiPo cells with a discharge rating of at least 30C (or high quality 25C batteries such as Traxxas® Power Cells®). Castle's experience suggests using only mild gear ratios with NiMH cells. Do not attempt to use NiMH cells in extreme setups.
After a couple months of minimal use (Winter in the Rocky Mountains) I got my batteries charged up and ready for a run. I tested the car out in my house and everything sounded and felt like normal. Nothing out of the ordinary. I started driving it around in a local park on some short/cut grass. I never went above 3/4 throttle as I was still testing and making sure there wasn't anything out of the ordinary. It's driving great, then out of now where, the car made a slight thump noise and stopped driving. I thought maybe I just broke a hub carrier or axle. As I'm walking to it, next thing I know, it's smoking a slightly pink color and smells of burnt plastic/electronics. As I'm running to the thing, I'm thinking a battery blew up. Nope, the ESC melted and blew up in fire. All the epoxy resin the circuit board is potted in was melted and shot all over the inside of the car. After crying for a minute, I thought it's time for a proper setup. Castle Creation was a no brainer' for me.
After getting the new setup installed and programmed with the Castle Link (an absolute must!), the car ran beautifully. Just like before I tested the motor out without installing just to see how it sounded/felt. IT WAS BEAUTIFUL!!! It runs so quiet and smooth. There is essentially no vibration from that motor! The internal magnets are far, far stronger than the ones on the stock Traxxas motor. Even when they were both brand new, the Castle motor felt like the magnets were 20 times stronger and that is not an exaggeration. I was so excited to run this in my car. Also the Castle Link is so cool with the data logging. Now there is no more question on motor/ESC temps (still checked with my thermal heat gun to verify). The first 5 runs on stock gearing in a park, dirt piles, and streets, the motor temp never got above 124 degrees and the ESC never got above 153 (I believe the ESC fan starts to kick on at 150 degrees). There is so much flexibility with programming and setting the car up exactly how I want it to run. In terms of power compared to the stock system, I would say that it has 15% to 20% more power. It just feels stronger than the stock system, no question.
You cannot go wrong with this system (so long as you didn't buy a counterfeit one). Upgrading to the Mamba Monster X is the best thing to do for the E Revo 2.0. HANDS DOWN!!! If anything happens to my motor/ESC I'll update this review.
Fantastic job, Castle!
If you want to go hard n not go home, this combo turned up
my traxxas E-Revo.
All I got to say is, castle creations all day every day
in the sf bay.
Soon publish the video so that they do not recommend to their friends about this system and more when the manufacturers do not give guarantee .... the worst choice ....